Carambola is a juicy and sweet tropical fruit known for its unique and refreshing flavor, making it the unrivaled star of fresh salads and exotic beverages. Its distinctive star-like shape and thin, smooth skin are unmistakable. Typically, it varies in size, ranging from 7 to 15 centimeters in length.
Its color can transition from an initial green to a golden yellow or yellow-green as it ripens, with some typical brown streaks on its skin.
Carambola offers a unique sensory experience. Its flesh is juicy and crisp, with a balance between firmness and softness, similar to that of an apple or pear. Its flavor, a refreshing blend of sweetness and slight acidity evokes nuances of pineapple, apple, and citrus. Most varieties have few or no seeds, making it even more enjoyable.
It is primarily enjoyed fresh and raw, sliced to highlight its star shape or as part of fruit salads and culinary preparations. Moreover, it is an excellent source of vitamin C, antioxidants, and dietary fiber, although caution is advised for individuals with kidney issues due to its natural oxalate content.
- Unique and distinctive star-like shape.
- Variable size (7-15 cm in length).
- Changing colors: initial green to golden yellow.
- Balanced texture between firmness and softness.
- Refreshing sweet-tart flavor with hints of pineapple, apple, and citrus.
- Mostly seedless.
- Ideal for consumption fresh, in salads, juices, and jams.
- Rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, with low-calorie content.